Sunday, August 24, 2008

La Gaviota Blanca Posters

One thing I really want to do for the new La Gaviota Blanca center is provide something attractive and eye-catching for the interior walls. I have no doubt we'll do a phenomenal job painting the concrete block walls, and Jeff Lewis has hinted that he'll try his hand at painting a mural. Still, I decided that I'd put together a series of posters to add to the decor.

The first poster contains La Gaviota Blanca's mission statement. As I mentioned in a previous post, La Gaviota Blanca means "The White Seagull," so the imagery should be pretty self-explanatory. It's more text than I like to include on a poster, but it's an important and ambitious mission, so we have to get it all in there.


I also have an English version of this poster, but I probably won't have time to print it (it takes about an hour). So here's the translation:

Haciendo corazones libres para volar (Making hearts free to fly)...through facilitating cooperative projects, programs and events that minister to the emotional, physical, social and spiritual needs of children and adolescents of the Orosi Valley.

We seek to collaborate with local individuals, ministries and churches of all denominations as we work together to accomplish goals we share in common for the children of our community: the enhancement of self-esteem, the development of strong biblical character and values, and the attainment of each child's God-given potential.

We seek to assist children and adolescents in:
  • Celebrating the life of Christ through prayer, music and the creative arts expressing the glory of God;
  • Cultivating personal growth in Christ through applying the Word of God to their individual lives;
  • Caring about one another in Christ through an atmosphere of love, acceptance, forgiveness and unity in the midst of diversity and through warm, caring, supportive relationships; and
  • Communicating Christ to the world through creative outreach to the community based on the love Christ has for every person regardless of race, creed or religious affiliation.

Next, I created a poster containing one of the most fundamental verses in the Gospel, John 3:16. Judith wants to teach English at the center, so she requested English and Spanish on the posters wherever possible. One of the real blessings I've found on the web is Christianity.com's My Bible Study Tools, which includes dozens of Bible translations. A few of them are even Spanish.


Because a main focus of La Gaviota Blanca's ministry will be on children, it only seemed appropriate to include a poster featuring Luke 18:16. This one uses one of the photos from last December's vacation Bible school as a backdrop.


And finally, I wanted to lighten things up a little bit and focus on the role we all need to take as we go out into the world. Matthew 4:18-20 speaks to that topic.


I also have a companion English poster for this one; the two are designed to flank some object or area.


Okay, as you look at these, realize that I am a technical writer by education and a software designer by trade. I am not a graphic designer. So if anybody has suggestions on how to improve these, let me know. Maybe we can get re-prints before the December trip. And if you have a favorite Bible verse, leave a comment. Maybe I will be able to come up with a photo and make a poster.

By the way, I want to credit iStockphoto for these images. I buy a lot of images from them for my business presentations, and they really came through for me here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!.... Once again, I am speechless! I can't wait to show these to Rick and Marjorie! Cory, they are truly beautiful and powerful and incredible and they will send such a clear message of our purpose and especially of Christ's love! We are going to have an open house for the community shortly after you all leave and I am so excited that these posters will be on the walls of La Gaviota Blanca!

Ann Marie Kurtz said...

Hi,

I am the photographer of Jesus written in the sand at sunset! One of my very favorite photos, I am glad you enjoy.

AnnMarie Kurtz
www.istockphoto.com/akurtz